Jose Perez, Esq. (B.A, J.D.)
Jose is admitted to practice law in New York, New Jersey, and Venezuela. Jose began his career as an attorney in Venezuela. Jose’s outstanding Venezuelan practice was recognized several times by the Miranda State Bar Association, which awarded him with honors in three different years.
In 2002, Jose decided to come to the United States to further develop himself academically and professionally. In 2004, Jose was admitted to Syracuse University College of Law, where he graduated cum laude. During law school, Jose clerked for a US District Court in Florida.
Jose joined the Smith Sovik law firm in 2007. Since joining the firm, Jose was involved in all areas of litigation. Jose has been and is a member of the Latin American Law Student Association; Hispanic National Bar Association; Black Law Student Association; DRI; American Bar Association; New Jersey State Bar; New York State Bar; Law Students in Action Project-Spanish Translation and Interpretation Assistance Team; Onondaga County Bar Association; AILA, among others.
In 2012, Jose decided to open his new and independent law firm. After opening the Law Offices of Jose Perez, Jose has been involved in all areas of litigation, including construction, labor and employment, premises liability, motor vehicle accidents, workers’ compensation, SSI/SSD, and immigration. Jose has been a speaker/panelist at numerous events dealing with his legal practice, Workers’ Compensation, and immigration issues. Jose also has a “Know-Your-Rights” column in the CNY Latino newspaper.
Jose has received numerous awards and recognitions in New York State:
- 2009 Latino Leadership Award;
- 2010 40 Under 40 Rising Latino Star in New York State;
- 2011 HNBA Presidential Pro Bono Recognition Award;
- 2011 40 Under 40 of Central New York;
- 2011 Service Award in Recognition of Outstanding Pro Bono Service;
- 2012 New York State Bar Association Empire State Counsel;
- 2013 Super Lawyers Upstate New York Rising Star;
- 2013 Keynote Speaker of the Opening Ceremony of the Onondaga County Hispanic Heritage Month;
- 2014, 2015 and 2016 Super Lawyers Upstate New York Rising Star;
- 2016 Keynote Speaker of the Opening Ceremony of the Syracuse University College of Law Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration
- 2017 Martindale Hubbell. Very High Rating in Both Legal Ability & Ethical Standards.
- 2017 Super Lawyers. Rising Stars.
- 2017 The American Registry. Top Ten American Professionals.
- 2017 Top Attorneys of Upstate New York. Rising Stars 2017.
- 2018 Martindale Hubbell. Very High Rating in Both Legal Ability & Ethical Standards.
- 2018 Top Attorneys of Upstate New York. Rising Stars 2018.
- 2018 Tthe National Advocates. Top 40 Under 40.
- 2018 Worldwide Super Lawyers. SSI/SSD Law Firm of the Year.
- 2019 American Institute of Legal Counsel. 10 Best Immigration Attorneys. New York.
- 2019 Martindale Hubbell. 5 Anniversary 2014-2019. Rated BV Distinguished for 5 years. Very High Rating in Both Legal Ability & Ethical Standards.
- 2019 Martindale Hubbell. Very High Rating in Both Legal Ability & Ethical Standards.
- 2019 Acquisition International. 2019 Leading Adviser Awards. Leading Workers’ Compensation Lawyer of the Year, New York.; among others.
- 2019 Sonia Sotomayor Award by the Syracuse University College of Law and the Latin American Law Students Association.
- 2020 Martindale Hubbell Award. Very High Rating in Both Legal Ability & Ethical Standards.
- 2020 Global Excellence Awards – Most Influential Immigration Lawyer 2020 – New York. AI Acquisition International.
Jose has dedicated countless hours to community service. Jose has been representing clients successfully before the immigration courts and the USCIS on a pro-bono basis. The Fifth Judicial District ProBono Action Now Program, a probono program that was funded by the New York State Unified Court System, Catholic Charities of Tioga/Tompkins Counties, and The Worker’s Rights Group, a Syracuse task force, which advocates for immigrants in Central New York, have referred ProBono cases to Jose for representation in several fields.
Jose is the Vice-President of the Board of Directors of Nosotros Radio Inc. Nosotros’ mission is to provide quality Spanish & English language radio entertainment combined with on-air education for the encouragement and strengthening of the Latino community, and the promotion of intercultural sharing among Central New York’s diverse communities. Jose is also the Vice President of the League of United Latin American Citizens-(LULAC), Syracuse-NY-chapter, a Board Advisor of Syracuse University La Casita, and an Ad-hoc member of the Civil Rights Committee of Alliance of Communities Transforming Syracuse.